Back to Chaper 1 Index
1.) Once again, this is lady wisdom speaking. (vs.20)
2.) Hearkeneth: to hear, listen to, obey.
3.) However, she is discouraged because so few are even willing to listen!
· vs. 24 - They refused… they didn’t want her counsel…
· vs. 25 - they set at naught all her counsel…
· vs. 29 - they hated her knowledge and did chose choose to fear God
· vs. 30 they rejected & despised her reproof.
· What could be more foolish?
4.) Lady wisdom also warns them of the consequences of rejecting her words:
· vs. 26 - calamity & fear will strike them one day…
· vs. 27 - desolation will come as a tornado… distress… anguish…
· vs. 28 - they will seek her but not be able to find her one day…
· vs. 31- they will be filled with their own devices - reap what they have sown.
5.) There are also good consequences of hearkening unto her…
· Already, several good results of following the way of wisdom were mentioned…
· It gives subtlety to the simple, and knowledge and discretion to the young man! (vs.4)
· A man who follows the way of wisdom will increase in knowledge. (vs.5)
· Wisdom will keep a young man away from the wrong crowd. (vs.10)
· 1:33 - two more GOOD results of following the words of Lady Wisdom.
1.) Dwell = to settle down, abide, dwell, tabernacle, reside.
2.) Safely = securely , assurance , boldly , confidence , hope , secure
3.) There is safety and security in following the way of wisdom.
a.) He will be safe because he will avoid the calamity mentioned in vs.26-27!
· There are many calamities we bring on ourselves!
· God doesn’t want His people living in calamity, distress, and anguish!
· He wants us to dwell in safety… securely… at rest!
· Those who reject wisdom will be eating the fruit of their ways all their days… their life will be a whirlwind of troubles - troubles that COULD have been avoided!
· But the one who follows the way of wisdom can dwell safe & secure! No whirlwind in his household! (at least not of his own making!)
b.) If you build your house on a solid foundation (as wisdom requires!) you will dwell safely in that house. If you build your house on sand (folly), you will NOT dwell safely. You will experience tragedy…
· This is a principle the Lord applies to salvation…
· But it holds to countless other situations too!
c.) Security is big business today. (alarms; locks; security guards; cameras; passwords, etc…)
· People want security for their homes, cars, money, lives, property, retirement…
· Wisdom offers a life of security… freedom from many disasters.
· Much of this security is ours simply by doing what God says… following His words of wisdom… His counsel… His advice…
· For some strange reason, we seem to prefer to lean on our own understanding… and pay the consequences of it!
1.) This is a promise of peace of mind… no need to live in anxiety and fear…
a.) Quiet: to be at ease, be at peace, rest, rest securely, be quiet…
· The first result of following wisdom was security.
· Now comes the SENSE of ease from knowing your are safe & secure!
b.) God wants His people to live in peace… rest… not in fear & anxiety…
c.) The one who follows the way of wisdom IS secure. And also he can EXPERIENCE the quietude of that security!
d.) This rest and quiet and peace is not just wishful thinking. It is because the follower of wisdom really DOES dwell safely! Therefore, he can enjoy peace of mind!
· Some fools enjoy peace of mind for a while… but it is built on false hopes… which eventually are dashed.
· But the wise man enjoys a peace of mind that built on a rock… he IS secure!
2.) The fool brings fear upon himself - fear of being caught… being discovered… fear of the IRS discovering he was cheating… fears of people finding out about his lies…
a.) This is the kind of fear of evil criminal lives with their whole lives. (Is anybody looking? Was that a police car over there? Is he an undercover agent?)
b.) The evil fool lives a life full of fear & anxiety… always looking over his shoulder. (Whitey Bulger)
3.) The foolish Christian - who refuses the words of counsel - lives in the fear of chastisement! (Prov. 3:11) And rightly so!
· The wise Christian who listens to sound counsel need NOT fear the heavy hand of God!
4.) The fool who refuses wisdom and lives in immorality fears that his body might be consumed! (Prov. 5:11) And when he discovers he has aids, he laments, but it is too late!
· The wise man need not fear STD’s!
· Wisdom keeps him away from sinful, risky behavior… and thus he need not fear what fools fear!
· The wise man is satisfied with his own wife! (5:15,18)
5.) The fool who refuses to abstain from sinful behavior fears becoming entangled… addicted… unable to free himself! (Prov. 5:22-23)
· The wise man need not fear becoming entangled in sin… addicted to coke or alcohol…
· He is free from the fear of this kind of evil!
6.) The fool worries about his tomorrow because he is not diligent today! (Proverbs 6:10-11) He worries about poverty… going hungry… because he is lazy at his job… and is likely to be the first to be fired…
· The wise man is diligent in his work. He is prepared for tomorrow.
· Proverbs 10:4 - the hand of the diligent maketh rich…
· A hard working man need not live with the same kind of fears that a foolish, lazy man lives with!
· Lady wisdom says: Be diligent! Fools say: relax, life’s a beach!
7.) The fool who goes in unto his neighbor’s wife lives in constant anxiety of being “burned!” (Prov. 6:25-28)
· The wise man who listens to lady Wisdom need not live in fear of being “caught”… discovered… or ruining your family!
· The fool brings this on himself… and many others suffer as a result of his folly!
8.) The fool lives with the fear of having his slander revealed… or his hatred discovered… (Prov. 10:18)
· But the follower of wisdom need not live with that fear!
· He can have a clear conscience…
· vs.19 - the fool who talks continually is bound to say something to get himself in trouble… and is condemned to live with the fear of trouble hanging over his head.
· The wise man restrains his lips… and has no fear.
9.) The fool who refuses to listen to counsel experiences all his hopes and dreams and plans come to nothing… fall apart… and he has to live with that fear daily. (Prov. 11:14)
a.) But the wise man who seeks counsel is safe!
b.) One lives in fear of his world crumbling… one lives in safety & security! Which would you want?
10.) Prov. 13:15 - the way of the transgressor is hard!
· It is a life of worry… fear… distress…
· That is because transgression has consequences.
· But the one who follows God’s word of wisdom and avoids the sin will avoid the awful consequences of sin!
11.) Prov. 13:10 - pride results in contention. Wisdom says “Humble yourself!”
· Follow the ways of wisdom and we need not live in constant contention!
12.) Prov. 13:20 - the fool walks with foolish men and is destroyed. He lives in fear of destruction because of their destructive ways!
· The godly man who walks with godly men need not fear trouble befalling him!
· Join a gang, and you are entering a lifestyle of constant fear…
· The godly man has no such fear. He will become even wiser!
13.) Prov. 13:24 - wisdom says “discipline your children.”
· A fool thinks he can pamper them and sweet talk them into good behavior. He will live in misery as a result.
· A wise man obeys God in this area… and has peace of mind from well rounded children by his side!
14.) A wise woman shall be quiet from the evil of a house falling apart. A foolish woman lives in that constant fear. (Prov. 14:1)
· cf. vs. 11 - overthrown or flourish? Which will it be?
· It all depends upon whether we follow wisdom or folly.
15.) Prov. 3:21-25 - safety, peace, security, a good night’s sleep! All this belongs to those who follow wisdom!
· Ps. 91:5 - be not afraid of terror…
· Isa. 32:17 - peace is the effect of “R”!