Attributes of God Seen in Creation
From the Book of Psalms
From a Sunday School Message by M. Vetter
God is clearly seen in Creation – we know this and the Psalmist knew it too.
The UNBELIEVER can LEARN about God from Creation.
For the BELIEVER Creation should REMIND us about God’s characteristics.
Romans 1:19-20 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
David and other psalmists were reminded about God’s character by observing His Creation. When they looked around they were reminded of His character everywhere.
- Psalm 36:5-7
- 36:5a – the heavens = mercy
- 36:5b – the clouds = faithfulness
- 36:6a – great mountains = righteousness
- 36:6b – deep (oceans) = judgments
- 36:6c-7 – care for man and beast = lovingkindness
The LORD is known by what He has made – One of His titles is “The One Who Made Heaven and Earth.”
- 121: 1-2 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
- 124:8 Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
- 146:6 (God) made heaven, earth, the sea and all that therein is
What the psalmist learned about God from His Creation:
GOD’S OMNIPOTENCE, POWER, STRENGTH
- 77:15-20 (89:9)
GOD’S OMNISCIENCE AND OMNIPRESENCE
GOD’S FAITHFULNESS, LOVINGKINDNESS, RELIABILITY, COMPASSION
- 121:1-2 (124:8)
- Luke 12:24
GOD’S MERCY AND TRUTH
GOD’S SOVEREIGNTY, OWNERSHIP – most often cited indirectly
- 115:1-3, 16
GOD’S ETERNITY AND TIMELESSNESS
- 90:1-12 (93:2)
- 86:8-10 (89:6-9ff)
GOD’S RIGHTEOUSNESS, JUDGMENT
What have you learned about God from His Creation?
Psalm 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD!